Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 17:17:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 01:34:47PM -0300, Avi Alkalay wrote:

> >         3.      You might run out of disk space
> >         4.      You need rollback
>
> So the app handling the keys must be mature enough to roll it back.

In ten lines of shell script. Rollback belongs in the configuration libraries
so you can do commit(list of key changes). That handles out of disk for
free also.

> About storage, 1 file per key or 1 file per folder uses almost the
> same amount of disk space. Do a 'du -sk' in gconf storage folders to
> see that.

In a db4 hash overhead seems to be percentage points. In flat file its
about 3.5K per key for single key per file. It is implementation detail
compared to the fundamental goal.

Overall I'm glad to see this work being done. I'm not convinced the format is
right but the essential goals of unifying configuration spaces, improving
tools and also just going out and doing it are all good things.