Elektrified X.org released (was: X configuration paradigm, and a proposal)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Nov 30 20:54:45 UTC 2004

Once upon a time, Sean Middleditch <elanthis at awesomeplay.com> said:
> You'd have to do locking, which I noted the problems with (NFS in
> particular) in my other mail.

I was ignoring that.  I was presuming write locking was already being
done somewhere; I just described what would have to be done to have
atomic updates such that the data stays internally consistent across a
crash.

Reading would also require locks, unless you can only fetch a single
value at a time.

Basically, trying to use the filesystem to implement a transactional
database is not a good idea.  If you want a transactional database, use
a transactional database library (i.e. BDB) and supply a few
command-line dump and restore type tools for emergency editing (as long
as the database doesn't get internally corrupted).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>