FC2 kernel quality

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Oct 1 15:57:23 UTC 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 18:20, Carlos Rodrigues wrote:
> Also that "not supported" thing is crap. Binary modules are a fact of
> life and some care ("some" meaning "break it if you have to, but avoid
> it if you can") must be taken so that users can use them.

Only if you need 3D acceleration do you need the closed source nvidia drivers
to use nvidia cards.  The nv driver does work fairly well, even if it isn't
the ultimate in performance.

The Linux kernel developers have made the decision to not support binary
modules.  It's not a Red Hat decision.  The developers can't be expected to
help debug a problem with a module for which they don't have source, nor can
they be expected to debug a problem in a kernel which has a binary-only
module loaded, since they can't really be sure the binary module isn't the
source of the problem.

So, when the word 'supported' is used in relation to binary modules, it's not
that they can't be used it's just that if you choose to use them then you
need to go to the supplier of the module for support.

I personally do use the nvidia driver (courtesy of ATrpms) on my personal box
at home, but I understand the risks of doing so.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology