DSL pppoatm (Re: rawhide report: 20041005 changes)

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Oct 7 14:32:14 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 15:01 +0200, Harald Hoyer wrote:
> > I now have the driver automatically loading the firmware and
> > initialising the hardware, and the initscripts handling all the PPP
> > stuff.... all we need is for the pretty GUI network tools to catch up.
> >
> more documentation please.... well, besides of string freeze..

Documentation of what to do in system-config-network... see bug #131556.
That one really would break the string freeze though.

To get a SpeedTouch working...

Fetch and install tomorrow's rawhide RPMS for rp-pppoe and ppp from
ftp://pentafluge.infradead.org/pub/dsl/

Fetch speedtouch-firmware-3.0.1.2-1.nosrc.rpm from the same place, fetch
the firmware ZIP file and rebuild to produce
speedtouch-firmware-3.0.1.2-1.noarch.rpm. Install that too.

Fetch the updated kernel driver from
bk://linux-mtd.bkbits.net/speedtch-usb-2.6 or perhaps more usefully from
ftp://pentafluge.infradead.org/pub/dsl/usbatm-20041007.tar.gz

Build it (assuming you downloaded the latter):
	tar xvfz usbatm-20041007.tar.gz
	cd usbatm
	make nodebug

Install the modules in /lib/modules:
	cp *.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/drivers/usb/misc
	depmod -a

Load them:
	rmmod speedtch # make sure the old one is gone
	modprobe speedtch

Look in /proc/net/atm/speedtch:0 to check the firmware loads OK. It'll
take a few seconds. If it doesn't succeed in loading the firmware for
itself, try building the modules without 'nodebug' (just 'make') and
they'll be a little more verbose. Then bitch at me about it.

Make sure your DSL username/password are in /etc/ppp/{chap,pap}-secrets
as usual.

Set up /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 with your username and
vci/vpi details, something like this...

	# Please read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt
	# for the documentation of these parameters.
	IPV6INIT=yes
	IPV6TO4INIT=yes
	USERCTL=yes
	PEERDNS=yes
	TYPE=xDSL
	DEVICE=ppp0
	BOOTPROTO=dialup
	PIDFILE=/var/run/pppoe-adsl.pid
	FIREWALL=NONE
	PING=.
	PPPOE_TIMEOUT=80
	LCP_FAILURE=86400
	LCP_INTERVAL=1
	#CLAMPMSS=1412
	CONNECT_POLL=6
	CONNECT_TIMEOUT=604800
	PERSIST=yes
	SYNCHRONOUS=no
	DEFROUTE=yes
	USER=fish
	VPI=0
	VCI=38
	LINUX_PLUGIN=pppoatm.so
	PROVIDER=aaisp
	DEMAND=604800
	IPADDR=192.0.0.192
	REMIP=192.0.0.193
	MRU=1500
	MTU=1500

Then 'ifup ppp0'. It ought to work. Reboot. It ought to come up
automatically. The firmware will load as soon as USB devices are
initialised and the line should start synchronising while your
initscripts are starting up.

(If you have a different USB DSL modem which uses the 'xdslusb' driver
which was a slightly more generic version of the old speedtch driver,
then fix your horrid old userspace firmware loading code to use
request_firmware() from the kernel and use the new 'usb_atm' core I/O
code, like I did for speedtch. I merged the xdslusb patches for padding
and variable endpoints into the usb_atm part.)

--
dwmw2