Default browser of FC3?

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 08:12:29 UTC 2004

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I think we need to look at the browser situation from a different
angle. Perhaps a browser tightly integrated into gnome and used for
Internet surfing may be a bad idea. Aren't the biggest problems related
to MS, security, and stability the fact that the browser is synonymous
with the UI? Now while I understand that these problems aren't exactly
the same, but what's to stop it from going in that direction?
Personally, I like the fact that my browsing experience is separated
from the desktop, and I use Firefox on win32 because I don't have to
worry about the browser bringing down the desktop. I think it would be
more beneficial to have a small footprint html rendering engine built
into the UI for simple tasks (help, external calls, etc..), and leave
the full-on Internet surfing to a dedicated browser. Besides, what good
is it to have two main gtk browsers based on the same rendering engine?
It leads to forked ideas and halved resources, as well as less
acceptance.
Mozilla was the standard, but the project team did say that Mozilla
should not be used as a browser. Mozilla was just to be a base, and
since Firefox was their choice for the frontend of the engine, it is
fitting that we should support it as the default. As for choice, does
that mean that <b class="moz-txt-star"><span
class="moz-txt-tag">*</span>every<span
 class="moz-txt-tag">*</span></b> browser be installed by default?
Choices are only truly made once there is an understanding, and for new
users, we should point them in the direction of the biggest acceptance,
as well as where the majority of the support lies.
Rick Stout