Default browser of FC3?

Ricardo Veguilla veguilla at hpcf.upr.edu
Tue Oct 12 12:08:16 UTC 2004

Panu Matilainen wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Oct 2004, Ricardo Veguilla wrote:
>

>>Its pretty simple, here are the two scenarios:
>>
>>a) I know what browser I want to use, (firefox, mozilla, konqueror or
>>epiphany). Does it matter which one is default? No, I'll look for it, I
>>know it exists, I know what is called, etc.
>>b) I don't know any browser. I just want to go to google.com or cnn.com
>>or whatever. I click in the menu where it says Internet Browser, and I
>>get a very simple browser....thats what epiphany was designed for.
>>

>So people who don't know better should be pointed to an inferior browser
>(well, any given application to perform some particular task)?

You might find it inferior because you are used to work with more
advanced tools, but thats your point of view.
A new user might think different.

>>People are obsesed with making the most popular browser the default as
>>if it really were a statement of what browser fedora user like. It is
>>not, and it shouldn't, in my opinion.
>>

>Defaults should IMNSHO be about offering the best-of-breed applications to
>users.

Will you set openoffice/kword/abiword as the default application for
"text" files? or gimp as the default app for opening images?

Regards,
Ricardo Veguilla