BerkeleyDB and config files

Remco Treffkorn remco at rvt.com
Fri Oct 15 15:26:46 UTC 2004

On Thursday 14 October 2004 23:21, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 22:12:51 -0700, Michael A. Peters <mpeters at mac.com>
wrote:
> > That made it a nightmare to maintain the administration utility.
> > With a database, it is much easier. The value for the setting is
> > requested from the database, or inserted into the database. It greatly
> > simplifies how configuration information is stored and retrieved.
>
> Specifically... Berkeley DB is an absolutely horrible idea if you need
> to have multiple people changing multiple settings involving multiple
> aspects of the system. Can Berkeley DB allow for multiple writes at

Look at the Elektra Project at http://elektra.sf.net. The author / maintainer
has paid attention to fedback, and I think this solution is a viable
compromise.

It fits in very well with Selinux.

Solves the 'single point of failure' problem (to the extend it can be done).

Is 'vi' editable (and still maintains Selinux access control).

No additional dependencies (important for embedded).

Patches for some apps available.

Worth a read...

--
Remco Treffkorn (RT445)