udev strangeness with latest rawhide

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Sat Oct 16 09:44:01 UTC 2004

Running the latest rawhide I get AVC messages indicating that /bin/udev
(not /sbin/udev) is running in kernel_t during the early stages of system
boot.

/bin/udev is the file name used in the initrd!  So it seems that after the SE
Linux policy is loaded (IE after /sbin/init has been run from the main root
fs) there is still a copy of udev from the initrd being run.  This seems to
be a bug in initrd that could lead to inconsistent behaviour.  I'm not sure
how this comes about (and of course apart from SE Linux messages in the
kernel message log all the evidence is gone by the time the system is ready
to login).

Any suggestions on how to debug this?