Request: gtkhtml3 and libgal2 compatability libs

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Oct 18 01:43:58 UTC 2004

On 10/17/2004 08:53:10 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:

> And with a program that only works with the older versions, a
> compatibility library really isn't a solution since you'll be unable
> rebuild the package. You'd need a compatibility development
> environment,
> which is typically a *lot* of work for a library that hasn't been
> designed to allow that.

libgal2 and gtkhtml3 do allow that. They are intelligently implemented
packages with major version specific header file directories.

They use pkgconfig and the name of the pkgconfig has changed from FC2
to FC3T3.

I built the FC2 packages on my FC3T3 system and installed them, and
then had absolutely no problems building the package that doesn't want
to build against the slightly newer versions of those packages (first I
did try just changing what pkgconfig file configure looks for, but it
wants to include a header file that is no longer provided - so until
the package I need to have is updated, it really does need the sightly
older version of gtkhtml3 and hence libgal2)

> So, basically, I don't think we'd consider these additions for Fedora
> Core. It might be possible to get them into Fedora Extras ...

Fedora Extras is where I think they should be - in the [stable]
repository.