Proposal: Rationalizing Fedora Audio

Demond James dnjinc at wowway.com
Mon Oct 18 13:27:12 UTC 2004

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:

>Hi.
>
>David Mohring <heretic at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>Even using the ALSA interface, Fedora defaults to sending/receiving
>>applications audio direct to the hardware device, hogging the interface.
>>By default audio output could go to ALSA or better yet a Dmix plug,
>>where the source and destination could be selected and mixed together.
>>

>Maybe I did not understand ALSA fully, but:
>IMHO you will need dmix only when your sound hardware is not capable of
>hardware mixing (like mine is, for example). If it was, you would not
>need (or want, for that matter) to use dmix.
>
>PS: inspired by this posting I tried to set up dmix again for my system
>(had tried it during FC2 testing, and was not impressed, crackling occured),
>but all seems well now. xine, mplayer, openttd (SDL layer) and bmp all
>happily sing along.
>The only thing not working are programs that want to use /dev/dspX directly,
>but those are few and far between for my uses.

How about using the available hardware audio channels if hardware mixing
can be acomplished but default to dmix if the sound card is incapable of
hardware mixing. Maybe someone who better understands ALSA:dmix can
suggest more creative ways to interface with these cards.  I'm sure
there are lots of users out there that would love to get simultaneous
sound mixing be default.  If sound quality is an issure then that will
definately have to be addressed