disable oss in gstreamer-plugins

Matias Féliciano feliciano.matias at free.fr
Mon Oct 18 19:51:04 UTC 2004

Le lundi 18 octobre 2004 à 14:46 -0400, Colin Walters a écrit :
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 12:10 +0200, Matias Féliciano wrote:
>
> > But I don't think it's good idea to keep OSS plugin only because
> > sometimes it works better than alsa plugin.
>
> One alternative instead would be have gnome-volume-control skip OSS
> mixers for now.

gnome-volume-control (you forget other mixer programs that use gstreamer
(mixer-applet)) will skip OSS, gstreamer use alsa by default, Fedora
kernel does not provide OSS driver (since FC2), why do we still need the
OSS plugin of gstreamer ?
If it's because sometimes alsa plugin is broken then I can ask for OSS
drivers because sometimes alsa drivers does not work.

So, except when alsa plugin is broken, when do we need the OSS plugin ?
Is Fedora supporting OSS ? Does not seem because there is no OSS mixer
(except the current gnome-volume-control).

http://fedora.redhat.com/about/objectives.html
        Non-Objectives of Fedora Core:
        - Being a dumping ground for unmaintained or poorly designed
        software.

Backward compatibility is a good thing. This is already done with OSS
emulation.
I perfectly understand that gstreamer support OSS plugin (Fedora is not
the only target of gstreamer).
I don't understand why Fedora support an unneeded OSS plugin that
encumber mixer using gstreamer.

Just curious.
Don't pay too attention about this, I don't use gnome-volume-control nor
mixer-applet :-)