MySQL 4 stalled in Red Hat legal department

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Oct 18 23:49:55 UTC 2004

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
>>>Maybe time to move MySQL to Extras?
>>>

>>Stop blaming RH legal, who is merely doing their job.  It isn't their
>>fault that their opinion is the wording of the current exception is
>>self-contradictory, and the real problem license that needs to be
>>changed to avoid this problem is PHP.
>

> So, maybe we should remove PHP? ;-]
>
> <tongue style="position:cheek">
> As a non-PHP coder, I'd love to have MySQL4 and the thought that a I
> can't because of a licensing problem in PHP is somewhat disappointing.
> So yank PHP and let them address the licensing problem.
> </tongue>

One option that we are exploring for the future what Debian does.  They
ship both mysql 3 and 4 client libraries, with PHP linked to only 3 due
to this license difficulty.  This however would be less than ideal for
PHP users, while being an added maintenance burden on us.  And
definitely too late for FC3.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com