Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Jonathan Andrews jon at jonshouse.co.uk
Tue Oct 19 00:44:26 UTC 2004

> Disable root graphical logins.
>
> Period.
>
> make it so gdm or kdm or xdm just exit.
>
> hell, you could make the xinitrc script handle it:
>
> if your uid is 0 then you throw up a hate-filled messaged and exit.
>
> EOD.
>
> If you can't flip to a console and take care of the problem there as
> root, then you REALLY don't need to be logged into a graphical client to
> do it.

Bite me !

I want to run some of my boxes as root with X, not to mention the
problems this would cause trying to work with some cluster setups and
embedded boxes. I have X code then even requires to run UID 0.

Users should have the power to choose, even if you personally think its
a poor choice.

If you have such a security fetish then go play with firewall rules in
the corner and leave us users to decide how to operate our machines !

Jon