Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Tue Oct 19 00:54:11 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 08:32, seth vidal wrote:
> If you can't flip to a console and take care of the problem there as
> root, then you REALLY don't need to be logged into a graphical client
> to do it.

Maybe go to failsafe with just a xterm.  Is that a security risk?

Also, I know things like Bastille (stripped /etc/securetty) can restrict
root from logging in even from the tty.  This forces the user to login
first and switch to the root user in their session.  It's another layer
of security that a cracker must go around.  Of course, if a user used
NOPASSWD in sudoers, there's only one layer: the user's password.

take care,
--
-jeff