Paralell startup

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Oct 19 17:04:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:10 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
> I am hearing much good from the gentoo camp about paralell startup, and
> how it brings down boot times to about 30 secounds. Is this possible to
> do with fedora as well?

Yes, and we should do it.  However, it requires lots of changes to the
initscripts :)

There are a number of projects that have done parallel startup on *NIX
machines.  I believe one or two of the BSD variants use parallel startup
and dependencies in their scripts.  Seth Nickell has some writeups on a
new startup script architecture as well.

Nobody is making the noise necessary to do anything about anything
though.  Somebody needs the time and energy to champion this cause.  The
current Fedora initscripts packages are also very, very nasty and not
well split out by function.  You'll encounter resistance too from people
who don't care about Desktop OS stuff under Linux and who think that
longer boot times don't matter because they only boot their servers once
a year.

Dan