Paralell startup

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Tue Oct 19 17:17:39 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 18:10 +0200, Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>> I am hearing much good from the gentoo camp about paralell startup, and
>> how it brings down boot times to about 30 secounds. Is this possible to
>> do with fedora as well?
>
> Yes, and we should do it.  However, it requires lots of changes to the
> initscripts :)
>
> There are a number of projects that have done parallel startup on *NIX
> machines.  I believe one or two of the BSD variants use parallel startup
> and dependencies in their scripts.  Seth Nickell has some writeups on a
> new startup script architecture as well.

OSX does it.  Nice fast boot, but painful at times when you can't figure
out why X won't work until you watch the bootup carefully to see ABC
haven't fully started yet and X depends on A.

Not that I'm against it, it's just a bit of a radical shift, esp
considering the very large amount of non-parallel initscripts that are out
there that might need changing.

Is this covered in/by the LSB in any way?  That seems like the place to
really have this particular fight.

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
production systems support
metaphysically wrinkle-free