More sound problems

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Wed Oct 20 03:49:30 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 22:18 -0400, Louis Garcia wrote:
> > > After rawhide update 10/19 I can't get sound out of my box. Any ideas?
> > >
> > > --Louis
> >
> > rawhide report 20041019 shows updates to:
> > gnome-media
> > gnome-volume-manager
> > selinux-policy-targeted
> > udev
> >
> > Start with looking at your mixer volumes, devices, perms, selinux
> > audits.. I have seen any loss of sound from these, so I would think
> > configuration first.
> >
> > btw: there really is nothing to guarantee this is all you updated, just
> > because thats what changed on rawhide.. so check your update logs for
> > what changed.
>
> Seems gnome-media alsa mixer does not adjusts PCM volume. Went back to -1
> and adjusted PCM on OSS mixer and sound is back.

What you're saying is, that using the 'alsa' mixer which was the only
one shown, you could no longer adjust PCM volume?  Was this only for
apps which use the OSS interface?

 - rpm -q --changelog gnome-media | head
* Mon Oct 18 2004 Colin Walters <walters at redhat.com> 2.8.0-2

- Add patch to not show oss mixers

If you could no longer adjust volume on OSS PCM, thats bugzilla worthy.
The mixers should have been one and the same.  The bug really is in
gstreamer probably, the change in gnome-media was just to 'not show' the
OSS mixer that gstreamer provided.

Perhaps the alsa mixer is not handling oss emulation quite the same way
the oss mixer was?

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu