Parallel Shutdown (was Re: Paralell startup)

Jeff Pitman symbiont at berlios.de
Thu Oct 21 16:46:00 UTC 2004

On Friday 22 October 2004 00:18, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> as opposed
> to something like a database, or some other app that needs to save
> state.

I think we'd surprised about the robustness of SIGINT.

MySQL:
/bin/kill `cat /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid  2> /dev/null ` > /dev/null
2>&1

PostGRE:
su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl stop -D $PGDATA -s -m
fast" > /dev/null 2>&1

Probably for transaction rollback and client disconnect, I dunno, I'm
not a DB yoda.  But, then again you'd hope things have acquiesced on
the server and you've notified your users such that just nuking it's
not an issue...

I think most state saving is mainly a distro-centric thing: pid files,
lock files in /var/run. And little hidden files pooped onto or wiped
from the filesystem on the way out: /.autofsck, etc.

--
-jeff