Lock screen does not work for root in gnome

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Fri Oct 22 00:22:28 UTC 2004

Kim B. Nielsen wrote:

> Actually, for my work, I use the graphical root login for one thing:
>
> Setting up a freshly installed machine... I know that this can be done
> from an user account, but I

Kickstart doesn't help?  It's a fairly useful technology that only Red
Hat has a good implementation of.  (That I'm aware of.)

> Another issue is, that a system, at install time, can be configured
> without any users at all. This is for instance the case if you
> configure network authentication. If this setup for some reason
> doesn't work, and root cannot log in (graphically), the user is left
> with a system he cannot login to. Surely he can use a graphical
> console, but often a graphical login will be more usefull, since it
> can be easier to fix thing. Anyway, you are able to have a webbrowser
> and a console on the same screen, which I have found to be very
> usefull :)

But an admin can get into X even if GDM disallows it.  And only an admin
is setting up machines with network authentication.  It's the home users
that don't have a fricken' clue that think, "oh, I'll log in as this
root thingy, it's soooo much easier!" that are the problem.