Rebuilding Fedora

Andrew Farris fedora at andrewfarris.com
Sun Oct 24 19:34:01 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 18:40 +0200, Roland Kaeser wrote:
> Hello
>
> There is a mistake. I would like to completly rebuild the whole
> distribution rmps from the srpms iso's not just the kernel.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Roland Kaeser

Are you considering the amount of cpu time required to build this entire
distro?  It is not something I think you want to do on a workstation,
I'd suggest rebuilding only those individual packages for apps you run
constantly.  Build firefox, the KDE packages, xorg-x11, and the kernel,
perhaps a very few others.

If absolute optimization is your goal, go Gentoo, and experience that
extra 5% Alan is talking about in his post.  I've found rebuilding i686
for the constant use packages makes them 'feel' faster, but I am not
positive it is more than illusion.  Rebuilding FC2 will take longer than
a complete build of Gentoo.

Why will it help very little?  FC already used the best possible choice
of instruction order for pentium-pro and up machines, which means unless
your app is going to be using SSE instructions there isn't that much
more you can do.

--
Andrew Farris (lordmorgul) <andrew at andrewfarris.com>
- CPE student, Cal Poly SLO, pgp keyid 4430F405 pgp.mit.edu