/etc/sysconfig/hwconf and Onstream tape drives

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Mon Oct 25 22:09:33 UTC 2004

On 10/25/2004 03:30:04 PM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Willem Riede (wrrhdev at riede.org) said:
> > What creates /etc/sysconfig/hwconf?
>
> kudzu
>
> > Does it drive everything else?
>
> If you're referring to udev creating device nodes, no.

That part I've got working in my next release of osst.c which I'll be
submitting soon upstream to linux-kernel/linux-scsi.

What I'm trying to also make work is that osst.ko gets auto-loaded at boot,
just as st.ko does today. If that doesn't happen, a FC3 system won't have osst
device nodes, which would seriously inconvenience Onstream owners.

Having hwconf be correct in and of itself is a nice-to-have, if it doesn't
drive anything else.

> How does one tell whether a device uses osst vs st?

By vendor and type returned by the device. In terms of hwconf, if "desc:"
starts with "Onstream SC", "Onstream DI", "Onstream USB", or "Onstream FW",
then the device needs the osst device driver. Note that "Onstream ADR Series"
is reported by a second generation drive, which should be driven by st.

Alternatively, if "st" reports the following line to syslog:
Oct 23 08:55:18 fallguy kernel: st: The suggested driver is osst.

Thanks, Willem Riede.