warning to list

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 26 18:05:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 09:45 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> [This discussion should come off list.  I'm not replying to any more of
> these.  spf-discuss is the correct place to have these discussions.]
>
> On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 08:48 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-10-25 at 21:07 -0400, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> > > No.  You fix them.
> >
> > Right. SPF, if it's to work, requires the whole world to 'upgrade' to
> > make the initial flawed assumptions of SPF come true.
>
> Fortunately, SPF already works.

I gave concrete examples showing that this statement is false. You
elided them from your reply -- although amusingly you did include the
words "you fix them" which you said earlier, at which time you
apparently _were_ prepared to acknowledge that a vast number of mail
servers out there in the real world are not operating in accordance with
the flawed assumptions of SPF.

But you're right. This discussion doesn't live on this list. If people
want an education in how email actually works in the real world, and
hence why SPF is broken, there are many alternative fora in which they
can learn. Or they can try running their own mail servers for a few
years and learn the fun way.

--
dwmw2