Removable storage devices and sync

Ralf Ertzinger fedora-devel at camperquake.de
Thu Oct 28 12:27:14 UTC 2004

Hi.

Nils Philippsen <nphilipp at redhat.com> wrote:

> IIRC it depends on the size of the storage, i.e. if it is below a
> certain size it won't get moutned sync because then it's probably some
> kind of a flash device which can only be written a certain number of
> times. In that case, sync is a bad idea because it will wear your device
> much faster.

Hmm. The following is an excerpt from my laptop's /etc/fstab:

/dev/sda    /media/CCYU_TECH        vfat    pamconsole,noatime,async,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sdb10  /media/usbdisk          ext3    pamconsole,noatime,async,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sdb12  /media/usbdisk1         ext3    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
/dev/sdb13  /media/MacOSX           hfsplus pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

/dev/sda is a 64MB USB flash device
/dev/sdb is a 15GB hard disk drive in an USB enclosure, sdb10 being a quite
small partition.
So small partitions get explicitly mounted async, but isn't that the default,
anyway?

--
"The cardinal rule for dealing with women is `Kill it. Kill it now'.
Remember `Alien'?"  -- Richard Watts