sound server

Richard June rjune at bravegnuworld.com
Thu Oct 28 23:37:12 UTC 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 16:32, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 03:27:25PM -0500, Richard June wrote:
> > > For network stuff having had a further thing I'd implement esd "second
> > > edition" by taking ESD and replacing all its audio side code with
> > > SDL_mixer, which was written by someone who has a grasp of audio
> > > processing, is portable and can mix multiple channels with fades, some
> > > effect and positioning control.
> >
> > Oooo, I would agree with that, especially if existing esd software
> > doesn't require much changes. Would MAS
> > (http://www.mediaapplicationserver.net/)  be a realistic possibility?
>
> Well the polypaudio author doesn't seem averse to the idea of using the SDL
> mixer code in his codebase either.
Like I said, I'm all for it. if polypaudio is network capable, and either
emulate's a backend that arts uses, or provides a way to grab reads/writes
to /dev/dsp it's a good thing.
in regards to your statement that arts is better than esd though, not always.
the "network transparency" of arts is retarded, rather than send an audio
stream accross the link(compressed or not), it sends the filename to play. so
in that respect, esd is infinately better. :-/

--
Public Key available Here:
http://www.bravegnuworld.com/~rjune/rjune.asc