FC3 rpm behavior change

Peter Arremann loony at loonybin.org
Sat Oct 30 15:19:30 UTC 2004

On Saturday 30 October 2004 11:06, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 11:40 +0100, Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > rpm --fileconflicts
>
> So we've got a reply from an @redhat.com that says how to avoid the
> behavior. But we haven't heard what the reason for the change was.
> There's been some times on my x86_64 when such an approach might have
> been nice, but otherwise I just don't understand it.

I agree - maybe an explanation would help us understand this but so far
it sounds insane. I have to maintain a environment for 400 developers that all
require root (through sudo) for their work... Unfotunately that means that
they sometimes go ahead and install their own packages - I can bet you, the
day after this change goes in, the number of systems broken by installing
incompatible or bad packages will go from 1 or two a week to dozens... The
only thing that saves us right now is file conflicts...

Peter.