Mail gui config

Mircea MITU mmitu at bitdefender.com
Sat Oct 30 22:50:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-30 at 23:14 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 12:53 -0700, Per Bjornsson a écrit :
> > >
> > > Unfortunately at this point if would not only be a smart move but a long
> > > overdue one. I hope it's not one of those cases where Novell/Suse did it
> > > first so RH won't even contemplate it.
> >
> > Gee, having fun with the conspiracy theories? ;) If this was the case,
> > why would Red Hat package Postfix at all? Likely it's just that there
> > isn't really any consensus on this,
>
> Tss gcc 2.96, apache 2, xinetd...
> RH is usually not so timid dumping yesterday's everyone-uses-it tech (in
> fact users have been more known to complain about RH fondness for new
> stuff that "breaks" Linux as-they-know-it than the reverse)
>
> I'm stiff ROTFL remembering the last time the MTA question was raised
> and the argument was sendmail sucks, postfix and exim are better, but
> since we can't agree if we like postfix or exim best, sendmail stays the
> default.

You're right, those are silly reasons. But I, for one, I see two major
reasons to make this switch, from sendmail to postfix as the MTA of
choice:

1. SANS Top Vulnerabilities, U5. Mail Transport Service
http://www.sans.org/top20/#u5

2. The very first thing done by the almost all the people I know after a
RH/Fedora install, is rpm -e sendmail

I really wonder how many subscribers are still using Sendmail.

For more information please visit http://linux.bitdefender.com/