FC3 rpm behavior change

Sun Oct 31 09:19:08 UTC 2004

Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 23:20 +0200, Matias Féliciano a écrit :
> Le samedi 30 octobre 2004 à 20:58 +0000, Michael A. Peters a écrit :

> > Supplying compatability libraries is imho fine.
> > But creating a scenario where your operating is more likely to have a
> > problem because a vendor doesn't have the will to build their src.rpm
> > on the system they intend the package to be installed (thus using the
> > modern rpm) on is just absolutely bonkers and is the WRONG thing for
> > red hat/fedora to do.
>
> red hat (RHEL) is a supported product dedicated to Enterprise. It have
> to work "out of the box". So, I don't know if it's the wrong thing to do
> for RHEL.

Given the quality of some of the "enterprise" third-party rpms out there
you certainly do not want to lighten install-time checks.

They're already doing unholy ops that may hose your system, when this
change reaches RHEL I predict a whole world of broken installs RH
support will have to rescue.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Mailhot