FC3 rpm behavior change

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Sun Oct 31 14:36:34 UTC 2004

  Thank you, Jeff, for this detailed information on why this was done.
But thank you most of all for changing the default back for FC3.

  I am a little surprised that a change with potentially serious
negative consequences was never mentioned on fedora-test-list or
fedora-devel-list, but only showed up just recently in the release notes
so close to release of FC3.  Even though the actual change was made
earlier in the cycle, no one noticed because of the nature of the
change.

  Your explanations make sense, but the timing was bad.

  A real solution for multi-lib systems truly seems difficult, but the
problem should be solvable.  Perhaps fedora-devel-list is good forum for
that, but maybe rpm-list will suffice.  I plan on subscribing to that
list.  Don't know how much help I can be, but I'll try.  I don't yet,
but will probably soon have an Opteron system to help (at a minimum)
test with.
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator