How about the support of FC for laptop?

Trond Eivind Glomsrød teg at pvv.org
Sun Oct 31 20:29:48 UTC 2004

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-10-31 at 09:16 -0800, Park Lee wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>Would you please tell me How about the support of Fedora Core for
>>notebook PC(aka laptop)? and what kinds of notebook PC can be
>>supported by Fedora Core (such as FC2, FC3) ?
>>

>if you are about to buy a notebook... the key issue in my experience is
>the video chipset. In my experience the intel video based laptops work
>well, while nvidia/ati are more cumbersome (even with the binary
>drivers), however the gaming performance will be lower than with
>nvidia/ati.

I would avoid Intel graphics. Nvidia works out of the box even with the
opensource driver...
and except for brand new releases of FC, their binary driver work well.

Intel graphics are painful. They are integrated with the BIOSes, and
needed special hacks just to
get some video memory earlier... and stick suck badly wrt. to getting
proper display modes too

I thought Intel was great, and Nvidia bad. Experience has taught me
otherwise.