USB Rescue Image

Aaron VanDevender sig at netdot.net
Fri Sep 24 20:29:19 UTC 2004

I would like to create a rescue image similar to rescue.iso, except
formatted to go on a USB pen drive. I took all the files in the
rescue.iso image and copied all of the files over to the pen drive. Then
I reconfigured the isolinux part to use syslinux instead and installed
syslinux on the drive. It seems simple enough, and it *almost* works.
The drive boots, and asks for language and keyboard information but then
asks for the location of the rescue image. I assume its looking for an
iso-9660 filesystem where it can get the stage2.img ext2 filesytem which
is to become the root filesystem during the rescue operation. Of course
there is no rescue iso filesystem and giving it the location of the FAT
filesystem with the same contents dosen't make it very happy. So what
should I change to make it look for a FAT filesystem. I assume that it
would be in the linuxrc executable in the initrd.img that gets loaded by
syslinux, but I don't know where to look for the source for that. Any
hints would be appreciated.

cya
.sig