cyrus-imapd (Was Re: Removed packages

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 7 15:23:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:41:15PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >I ever thought Fedora was Community Driven. It seems like RedHat needs
> >another argument for Enterprise Linux.
> >
> Community driven doesnt mean including everything by default in core.
> Thats the only way to try and please everyone. core should only include
> default apps. dovecot is the current default.

And why is having a package in Core, where the maintainer has to be
a RedHat employee, more Community Driven than having something in Extras,
where people from the outside community can become maintainers?

Extras is in the default configuration.  Newbies will have access to
packages that fulfill the basic functions.  If you know enough to know
that you want a different package, or to choose between multiple packages,
installing via yum isn't difficult.

And believe me, Enterprise Linux certainly cuts down the number of packages
as well, in order to reduce the inevitable support headaches.  It's kind
of ridiculous to call it an argument for Enterprise Linux.

John Thacker