gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:34:31 UTC 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 11:12 AM, Mike Hearn <mike at navi.cx> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:27:08 -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > So let's get this straight.. not only do you want gtk1 as part of
> > Core... you want it installed by default as part of the Desktop
> > install?
>
> Yes. Having things work out of the box is the whole point, isn't it?

Having commercial addon things that can't keep up with the pace of
development of fedora core work out of the box is the point? I don't
think so. I'm actively hostile to any decision that stresses the needs
of slow moving commercial vendors in the decision making process for
fedora core development. Especially when those commercial vendors are
using some sort of package installation method that doesn't interface
with the management system fedora is using. If those vendor packages
were using rpms or interfaced with rpm... this sort of dependancy
problems could just evaporate through established dependancy
resolution mechanisms that rpm and repository tools use.

> I don't know. I never explicitly installed it yet it's here, on the other
> hand I upgraded from a previous FC2 install. XMMS is pretty common though.

xmms maybe common for advanced users.. but its NOT part of a default
desktop setup in fc3. And in fc4.. with xmms no longer IN Core.. your
argument holds even less water than it did.  As soon as nothing in
Core depends on gtk+, expect it to be dropped. Since it appears
gnucash isn't going anywhere yet, you most likely do not have to worry
about this in the fc4 time frame. BUT if you are concerned about this,
you better talk to the commercial vendors whose products are relying
on gtk+ to be present and give them a big heads-up and encourage them
to find a gtk2 based solution.

> Well that's even worse!

So if the current situation is even worse than you realize... perhaps
your arguing about the wrong thing.  Libraries and components that
aren't going to be actively used by applications IN core are going to
be dropped over time... its the only way to make room for new things
that need to be in Core.  The issue of compatibility libraries is a
larger issue than just gtk+, we can not keep all useful compatibility
libraries in Core and make progress on best-of-breed applications. New
things will have to replace old things, old things will have to be
moved out. Instead people like yourself who are concerned about this,
need to find a way to make the installation of compatibility items
'just work' when they are needed.. if they are needed... on individual
systems.

-jef"worrying about ANY commercial vendor's development timescale is
an absolutely sure way to stagnate this project"spaleta