gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Apr 8 00:09:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:58:36PM -0400, John Thacker wrote:
> "We do that for kernel."  What?  Where do we ship a 2.4 version kernel
> (and 2.2, and 2.0, etc.) in order to have FC work with applications
> that don't run with 2.6?

Of course we don't, that's why Linus is fanatic in keeping binary
compatibility. That's why apps compiled against Linux 0.9 still run
a decade later on 2.6.x. Unmodified.

> The compat-gcc libraries are there, certainly, but "we do it for glibc?"
> compat-glibc wasn't included in even RedHat
> 9, so any old RedHat 6.x binaries using glibc2.1 are out of luck.
> (Of course, forget about old libc5 stuff.)  RedHat 9 nuked compatibility
> with anything pre-Redhat 7.x.

Of course they did. At the time, we didn't even pretend to be a platform,
and so there was no love lost. But now we do, the name of the game changed.
And mind you, we shouldn't break binary compatibility in glibc, it was
unfortunate that we did. That should be the exception, not the rule.

--
Dimi.