gnome-vfs not in Rawhide?

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 8 02:25:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 09:36:49PM -0400, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> I think it's a gross exageration to compare such an speciality
> app with one that uses the standard toolkit. Even windows broke
> such apps as VMWare, and nobody complained. But regular apps
> written to the standard toolkit still work on Windows 15+ years
> later.

I grant that it's different when you talk about toolkits versus
things like glibc and a.out where recompiling fixes most problems.
Source compatibility and binary compatibility are different.

But, considering that I don't see qt 2.x around anymore (it was
in RH9 but not FC1), and it's neither source nor binary compatible
with qt 3.x, and I don't see a lot of other older compatibility stuff
around, I wouldn't be suprised if gtk+ went to Extras after nothing
in Core needed it.  We don't include gtk+ 1.0.x, even though it's
also incompatible with gtk+ 1.2.

John Thacker