Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

Paul A. Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 13 18:24:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:52:22 -0500, Jeffrey C. Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us>
wrote:

> Yes they do have spiders.  And I'd bet that most of those spiders know
> how to turn "user at example.com" and many of the other common
> obfuscations into "user at example.com".  And if that doesn't work, they'll
> just subscribe to all of the mailing lists that they can find to harvest
> email addresses directly from the emails.  And if that doesn't work
> they'll just try dictionary attacks against your SMTP server.  And once
> one spammer has your email address they'll quickly sell it to every
> other spammer.
>
> This all just goes to show that you can't hide your email address.
> They'll find it one way or the other, sooner or later.  So I wouldn't
> waste a lot of time trying.
>
> Instead, investigate one of the many spam filtering systems out there.
> Since I see that you are using Mozilla, take a look at:
>
> <http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/spam.html>

	This is nuts.

	The best defense against spam is a defense in depth.  It makes sense to
filter spam at the mail server and the mail client,  but it also makes
sense to prevent one's address from being exposed to spammers.

	I had one address that was so popular for viruses and spams that the mail
server was regularly failing in one way or another because of the load,
and I ultimately abandoned that account.

	Yes,  "user at example.com" is lame,  but you can do a lot better by
requiring:

(i) that a user have to perform a complicated task (register and log in,
for instance) in order to harvest an address,  and
(ii) wrapping the address in javascript + funny HTML tricks (for
instance,  using numeric entities for characters,  inserting comments into
the text) to make sure anything less than a complete HTML parser won't get
the address.

	These two actions will sideline general-purpose spamcrawlers that are
trying to crawl te whole web.  A defense against specialized webcrawlers
involves keeping an eye on the behavior of crawlers -- prohibit legitimate
crawlers from attempting to get e-mail addresses,  and firewall any site
that requests too many of them.

	(And yes,  I work on a site that periodically does get attacked with
specialized webcralwers trying to do just that.)

	The point of (ii) is to protect against worms/viruses that scan the
browser caches -- you're better off the harder it is for a worm to parse
it...