Preventing spammers from infiltrating the Red Hat mailing lists

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 21:49:17 UTC 2005

On 4/13/05, William M. Quarles <walrus at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Apparently you guys haven't bothered to look at what Gmane actually does
> to inhibit the spiders.  It's not just "user at example.com."  They do
> that on the website for groups that fail to do the following: they
> actually *encrypt* your e-mail address and force the sender to verify
> themselves.  Read more.
>
> http://gmane.org/tmda.php

I've read that url.. and it says that list maintainers have to REQUEST
encryption to be turned on. Its not somethign list maintainers turn on
themselves.. it something gmame turns on at the request of list
maintainers. That url doesn't even explain to whom at gmame you make
the request.

If this is a gmame feature that list maintainers have to request be
turned on... why the hell isnt gmame turning this feature on by
default for ALL the lists they archive? Why do list maintainers have
to request this feature? Why do list maintainers have to know about
gmame's existance at all?  gmame needs to turn this on for ALL the
lists they archive and then let maintainers opt-out of it instead of
opt-in.  I consider this a problem with how gmame is managed. They
should be defaulting to encypted usernames in the newgroup archives
and save list maintainers the trouble of tracking this down and
interacting with gmame at all.

-jef