smart wants to downgrade gcc, why?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 14 15:06:02 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 10:37 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > If this is true, the issue even is independent of smart.
> >
> > [FWIW: I repeatedly had seen similar issues happening with yum.]
>
> you've seen yum try to downgrade a package?
No.

> Wow, i'd love to see that. could you show me a screenshot of that
> happening?
There seems to be a misunderstanding. What I have seen happening is yum
behaving differently in consecutive yum run.

E.g. I've seen the following:
# yum check-update
[reports a couple of packages to update]

# yum update
[doesn't upgrade]

My explanations is that yum was choosing different mirrors in these
runs, where it happens to hit mirrors in different states.

When the libtool issue occurred, a couple of days ago, this produced
funny effects:

Consecutive "yum update" runs either bombed out with "broken
repository", upgraded a couple of packages, or had found nothing to
upgrade.

My explanation: Different mirrors where in different states of sync.
Depending in which shape the currently chosen mirror and the current
state of the system was, yum updated some older packages, found the
libtool<->gcc conflict, etc.

Ralf