Emacs vs. XEmacs

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Mon Apr 18 19:45:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:04 -0700, Jamie Zawinski wrote:
> I'm curious, do you have any way of determining which is actually more
> popular these days?

I don't think anyone has claimed they have a scientific measure.

> Based on previous core/extras discussions I've seen here, I'm surprised
> that you're not punting both to Extras.

While it's true that both Emacs and XEmacs fail on a number of points
for inclusion in Core such as using a modern toolkit¹, we should
remember that one of the primary targets for Fedora Core is "free
software hacker", and many, many of us still use an emacsen.

¹ I'm aware of work to have Emacs and XEmacs use GTK+ for menus and
such, but to really be useful they need to use e.g. Pango for buffer
display.