Emacs vs. XEmacs

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 18 19:53:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 15:45 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> While it's true that both Emacs and XEmacs fail on a number of points
> for inclusion in Core such as using a modern toolkit¹,
I don't think *that* should be a criterion.
>  we should
> remember that one of the primary targets for Fedora Core is "free
> software hacker", and many, many of us still use an emacsen.
>
> ¹ I'm aware of work to have Emacs and XEmacs use GTK+ for menus and
> such, but to really be useful they need to use e.g. Pango for buffer
> display.
The rpms made by Jens Petersen for Emacs 22.0.50 use GTK and seem to
work well. Emacs feels a little faster than XEmacs, it would be ok for
me to give up XEmacs, if the most important packages (auctex, again)
were included.
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49