removing eog from core

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 19 05:58:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 18:31 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 19:21 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> > Marius Andreiana wrote:
> > > Anyway, eog is only 600k. It doesn't worth discussing/arguing about it.
> > > If some people want it, let it be and let's move to next :-)
> >
> > Good point. However, it's not just a matter of disk space. It also means
> > one more item in the "Graphics" menu - which is a bigger deal.
>
> Yeah - I mean there's four items in my menu, it's so confusing!

Is one of them actually Eye of Gnome? Here's a snippet from the spec
file (yanked from the cvs repo):

%prep
%setup -q
echo "NoDisplay=true" >> eog.desktop.in

Eye of Gnome certainly doesn't seems to show up in my desktop menu, so
it doesn't seem to add much to the clutter.

For now, I think eog actually fills a need as a quick image previewer.
(Oh yes, it deals with SVG files as well, which is sort of useful.) At
some point maybe Evince will turn into a universal document viewer and
in that case perhaps eog can be ditched but right now it seems to be
worth keeping.

Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University