default media player

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Fri Apr 22 17:53:24 UTC 2005

Dan Williams wrote :

> Unless they break because the current compiler changed, like was the
> case with OpenOffice.org for quite a while.  It was using g++33 when the
> default compiler became gcc 3.4, because patches for gcc 3.4
> compatibility were not available when the decision was made to switch
> compilers.  OOo packages still use g++32 on RHEL4, because the version
> of the package that's shipped in RHEL4 does not support gcc 3.4 (a
> version that _did_ support gcc 3.4 was not available when RHEL4 froze).
>
> The same thing happened with dbus just a couple weeks ago, since the
> Pyrex python bindings were generating code that gcc 4 just wouldn't
> accept for some reason (which was quite unclear at the time), and until
> that was worked out, dbus had to be compiled with compat gcc.
>
> You can't simply switch compilers and expect everything to work right
> out of the box.  There are some packages which will take time to patch.

I totally agree, I was merely pointing out that when you need to choose
between two programs, if you have one tougher to maintain, you'll be
favoring the other. And it's not like there are any widely adopted and
tested equivalents of OOo or dbus to just switch to :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) - Linux kernel 2.6.11-1.14_FC3
Load : 0.08 0.36 0.35