rawhide report: 20050428 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Apr 29 00:45:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 08:00 -0400, Build System wrote:

> alsa-lib-1.0.9rc2-1
> -------------------
> * Fri Apr 22 2005 Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> 1.0.9rc2-1
> - updated to 1.0.9rc2
> - add ainit tool
> - dmix is now default pcm device
>
> alsa-utils-1.0.9rc2-1
> ---------------------
> * Mon Apr 25 2005 Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> 1.0.9rc2-1
> - New upstream version
> - add /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/find-lang.sh /usr/src/build/559784-x86_64/install macro (#155719)

and/or

> kernel-2.6.11-1.1275_FC4
> ------------------------
> * Wed Apr 27 2005 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
> - Hopefully fix the random reboots some folks saw on x86-64.
>
> * Wed Apr 27 2005 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com>
> - fix prereqs for -devel packages
>
> * Wed Apr 27 2005 Rik van Riel <riel at redhat.com>
> - Fix up the vdso stuff so kernel-xen* compile again
> - Import upstream bugfix so xenU domains can be started again

Something has happened to sound from my system after this update.  I'm
guessing it's related to one of the two packages above but could be
wrong.

Sound yesterday was nice and clear, but since the update it is garbled
and staticky (???).  YOu can still here the sound (or music) but it's
like someone's maxing out the volume and the speakers are all distorted.
Volume levels on everything are the same as before the update and
changing (lowering) them doesn't seem to help.

I'm going to try yesterdays kernel and down-grading alsa, but thought it
worth mentioning this before doing either (so it's documented as I go).

Is anyone else seeing this?

Packages that might be related:

kernel-2.6.11-1.1275_FC4
alsa-utils-1.0.9rc2-1
alsa-lib-1.0.9rc2-1
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.9rc2-1

Sound Card hardware:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

Rodd