rawhide report: 20050428 changes

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:11:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 09:46:32AM -0500, Matthew Lenz wrote:
> i'll have to check that out on my audigy2 tonight.  assuming I can get
> it to work, it hasn't worked since fc4t2 install.
>
> If that is the case then the logic behind enabling dmix should look for
> cards that already support hardware audio multiplexing and not enable
> dmix.  better yet, the alsa mixer should have an option to enable and
> disable software mixing.

It's supported hardware mixing just fine on my live card for a long
time.  The recent changes resulted in much scratchier sound for me
when using applications that don't use a direct ALSA output.  (Sound
output from the proprietary Flash plugin, for example.)  It looks
to me like ainit is turning on dmix even for my card which supports
hardware mixing; I'd rather it didn't.

John Thacker