4KSTACKS et al...

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Tue Aug 2 17:21:00 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 13:10 -0400, Paul A Houle wrote:
>     A few weeks ago we had a 4-way amd64 web server running RHEL 4 that

1) this is the fedora list not the RHEL list.
2) If you have an amd64 you are running the 64 bit OS, right? The 64 bit
OS has 8K stacks

>     I really don't know what's in RHEL 4 (it would take me more time to
> look at the patches than it would to revert to mainstream) but the
> activation of 4KSTACKS in Fedora is one of those changes that reduces
> reliably.
>
>     I've been looking,  and I've never found out what benefit that
> 4KSTACKS has for end users.

1) more threads in userspace
2) FAR FAR less vm problems

>     By adopting 4KSTACKS early,  Fedora has helped shake out problems
> with 4KSTACKS,  but when 4KSTACKS becomes the main option in the

it already is a main option, and soon to be the only option.

but given that you don't seem to be running a 4K stacks kernel at all
anyway (eg 64 bit OS) I wonder what your flame is really about...