addition of -Wall to default flags (redhat-rpm-config-8.0.38-1)

Ulrich Drepper drepper at redhat.com
Sun Aug 7 15:33:34 UTC 2005

Enrico Scholz wrote:

> | $ gcc -ldl -Wall -pedantic -W -Werror -std=c99 dlsym.c

Nobody suggested using -pedantic, certainly I didn't.  That's a
completely useless option and I really would like for it to be removed.
 Just like -ansi.

> Or, I maintain a library which provides some deprecated functions and
> gives out warnings at link-time when they are used. The same project has
> some legacy tools (used by some people) which are triggering exactly
> these warnings. Enforcing '-Werror' would make it either impossible to
> mark obsolete functions (bad for developers), or to build legacy tools
> (bad for some users).

First of all, warnings by the linker are not covered by -Werror.
Second, there are -Wno-* parameters which can and should be added after
the -Wall to avoid some warnings _for specific files_.  It's just a
matter of setting the Makefiles up to make this easily possible.  The
elfutils makefiles do just that.