addition of -Wall to default flags (redhat-rpm-config-8.0.38-1)

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Mon Aug 8 08:07:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 07:26:49PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> Nicholas Miell wrote:
> > Nothing stops you from doing internal builds with -Werror and then
> > fixing all the warnings before you make a release.
>
> You don't get it.  The people who need to use -Werror are all those
> people who rebuild code.  This includes all the package maintainers but
> also all everybody who makes changes.  Those are all the people doing
> rebuilds since otherwise they'd simply use the binary packages which are
> provided.

  Then what you really need to do is make -Wall the default for gcc !

There is only so much the packagers can do over the packages, this is OSS
the key to success is to tap on the masses of people looking at the
problem, not on a limited few who usually are not in charge.
Get the message back upstream, enable -Wall as the default gcc option
is the only sensible methodology, why on earth are you hiding those
informations if you think they are so crucially important that they
should lead to build errors here.

   -Wall -Werror on Red Hat built will generate a tension between
Red Hat packagers and upstream, on the other hand -Wall activated by
default will bring the problem back directly to the source in most
cases (I assume an overhelming majority of the Fedora packages are
built with gcc upstream).

  What you are aiming at sounds right, but my point is that your solution
is not the most effective, and is likely to just miss its real target.

Daniel