Duplicates packages on x86_64

Michel Alexandre Salim msalim at cs.indiana.edu
Mon Aug 15 20:33:20 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 20:09 +0200, Lukasz Trabinski wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have fresh FC4 instalation on x86_64 machine. I would like to
> erase some packages, but when I try do:
>
> oceanic:~# rpm -e zlib
> error: "zlib" specifies multiple packages
>
> ok, we have packages for both arch:
>
> oceanic:~# rpm -q --queryformat "%{ARCH}\n" zlib
> i386
> x86_64

Those are not duplicates - RPM supports the installation of side-by-side
'multilib' packages, for backward compatibility with 32-bit programs.
Important things such as OpenOffice and HelixPlayer are still 32-bit
only, and some people choose to run 32-bit browsers for better plugin
supports.

To uninstall the 32-bit zlib, for example, you can just rpm -e
zlib.i386 ..

Hope that helps, and by the way, this is probably more appropriate on
fedora-list.

- Michel