Trying to solve performance issues on Rawhide

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Aug 16 05:29:24 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-08-13 at 01:22 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 05:55 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:50:41AM +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> > >  setting using_dma to 1 (on)
> > >  HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
> > >  using_dma    =  0 (off)
> > >
> > > This in an a brand new dell laptop with a Fujitsu drive that supports
> > > UltraDMA.
> >
> > What does lspci show for your IDE controller. From the above it may just not
> > be supported yet.
>

> 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)

Okay, and lspci -v says

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 80 [Master])
        Subsystem: Dell: Unknown device 0189
        Flags: 66Mhz, medium devsel, IRQ 5
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at <ignored>
        I/O ports at bfa0 [size=16]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

I've done a little more research into this and I've found this very
interesting page on people with the same problem with me (and what
appears to be the same IDE interface.

see: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/340897

Also, on this page and Dell 6000 (which use the same IDE device)
( http://james.jamesandkristin.net/?p=19 ) I found this:

“in /usr/src/linux/include/linux/libata.h change
#undef ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */
#define ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI /* define to enable ATAPI support */”

Is this enough to start getting this issue addressed, or should I lodge
a bugzilla, or should I do more research?

Obviously with a lot of new laptops (see first link) using this chipset
from Intel, this would be a good thing to have fixed in terms of
performance (both in FC5 and FC4).  Obviously this affects from HDD and
CD/DVD performance.

Rodd
 It's much better on my side"