/etc/sysconfig/harddisks deprecated?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Tue Aug 16 20:22:43 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 04:44am, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 04:54:56PM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > years?) drives were DMA66, then DMA100, now DMA133.  I half expected my
> > laptop hdd to be at least DMA66, but seems to be stuck at 33.
>
> UDMA66 and higher requires 80 pin cables. Since almost no laptop drive is
> fast enough to benefit from UDMA66 almost no laptops bother.

You mean 80 wire cable on a 40-pin connector, right?  Or does the connector
use pins that are kind of like stereo headphone jacks?  I'm not anywhere I
can quickly look at such a drive, but I am pretty sure there are still only
40 pins.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor