download directory

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 15:45:26 UTC 2005

Paul W. Frields wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-08-17 at 20:48 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>I would like to propose a couple of changes to the way download
>>directories are organised currently
>>
>>* Move boot.iso image to ISO folder. Many users do not look into
>>os/images and are unaware that a net installation method exists.
>>

>s/Move/Copy/ would make this work better for folks who do use it
>regularly from its current location.

Symlink then.

>>* Move Source ISO images into a different directory. Mirrors can choose
>>not to copy them. Many new users  end up downloading this instead of the
>>binary ISO images
>>

>Do you have numbers to support the claim of "many" here?  ;-)

No. Not exact numbers but if you sit on #fedora on freenode especially
on new releases you can find a considerably large people doing this
mistake. Search in fedoraforum.org or in fedora-list for other
instances. I appreciate the work being done on the installation guide
but end users often (dont ask me how often ;-) ) dont read them. a
README does sound like a good idea neverthless but the proposal to move
the source images into a different directory has the purpose of making
mirroring easier for those who want to skip them assuming that the large
majority of end users dont require it

regards
Rahul